The Dental Excellence Prevention Philosophy
What is considered good oral hygiene?
- Fresh breath
- Pink gums, no bleeding or inflammation
- No plaque on your teeth
- Good diet
Maintaining good oral hygiene is one of the most important things you can do for your teeth and gums. Healthy teeth will not only last much longer but will also help you with your overall health. Daily brushing and flossing, along with regular visits to Dental Excellence, will help stop problems before they become painful and much more difficult to treat.
We will make sure that time is spent with you and your family to make sure each of you are confident with your daily routine of brushing, flossing and offer dietary advice, helping to reduce the chance of tooth decay, gum disease or other more serious dental problems.
For an outline on how to brush and floss and the importance of correct diet ask our hygiene team and we will be happy to guide and instruct you to perfect oral hygiene techniques. You are also welcome to our technique guide available in our office or on this website.
Preventive Dentistry for Children
There are many ways to prevent dental problems in children. These preventive aids include:
- Fluoride – one of the most effective ways to prevent tooth decay is to brush with fluoride toothpaste and have professionally applied fluoride at times of most need.
- Fissure sealants – are clear or tooth coloured, acrylic-like, and fluoride releasing materials, that helps shield out decay causing bacteria from the chewing surfaces of the back teeth. We recommend that sealants be applied once the six year old molars appear.
- Mouthguards – facial injuries in nearly every sport can result in damage to teeth, lips, cheeks and tongue. Mouthguards cushion blows to the face and neck and at Dental Excellence the mouthguards we supply are manufactured to the highest possible standard. A mouthguard should be part of every athletes gear, no matter the sport. It is better to play it safe than face a devastating, painful oral injury.
- Diet – an often overlooked way to prevent dental disease in children, dietary advice can be provided by our experienced team to help your child on their way to having great teeth.