At your clinical examination, your dentist suggested that the proper means of restoring your tooth was a crown/inlay/onlay. The reasons for making that suggestion can vary from case to case. Some of the indications for a crown/inlay/onlay are:
- A previously filled tooth where there now exists more filling than tooth. The existing tooth structure becomes weakened and can no longer support the filling.
- Extensive damage by decay.
- Discolourations and compromised aesthetics.
- Root canal – After root canal therapy, teeth tend to become brittle and are more apt to fracture. They, therefore, may need to be protected by a crown/inlay/onlay.
- Bridges – When missing teeth are replaced with a bridge, the adjacent teeth require crowns/inlays/onlays in order to support the replacement teeth.
Crowns/inlays/onlays strengthen and protect the remaining tooth structure and can improve the appearance of your teeth.
Crowns/inlays/onlays can be made from different materials, which include the full porcelain crown/inlay/onlay, the porcelain fused-to-metal crown and the all-metal (e.g. gold) crown/inlay/onlay. You and your dentist will decide which type is appropriate, depending upon the strength requirements and aesthetic concerns of the tooth involved.
CEREC® – One-visit dentistry
We are pleased to offer our patients CEREC® restoration services- a superior method of creating precisely-designed, colour matched and highly durable ceramic restorations right in our practice. From simple fillings to full crowns to veneers, CEREC® delivers the results you need in a single appointment.
After examining the tooth and determining the course of treatment, we will prepare your tooth for restoration, similar to traditional treatment methods. Your prepared tooth will be coated with a safe, tasteless powder. CEREC® then uses a state-of-the-art digital 3D infrared camera to create an optical impression. The digital image replaces the physical impression required in traditional procedures. No more long waits while a tray of impression material hardens in your mouth.
COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN (CAD)
State-of-the-art CAD software allows us to design every precise detail of your restoration with the accuracy you’ve come to expect from us. The software allows us to customize the shape of the restoration to exactly fit your specific clinical needs. You will be amazed at how this technology creates and designs your new tooth!
COMPUTER AIDED MACHINING (CAM) – MILL AND PLACE
While you wait, exact design specifications are sent to our on-site milling machine (CAD-CAM Communication) to create your restoration. About 5-15 minutes later, your all-ceramic, colour-matched restoration is ready for placement. Your new restoration is then fitted, polished and bonded to your tooth, thus supporting and strengthening your tooth structure. Your tooth is restored back to its natural form, function and beauty.
CEREC® delivers top quality restorations in one visit, so you can get back to what matters most. Restore your smile keep your schedule!
- Single visit convenience – no temporary restorations
- No uncomfortable impression trays
- Beautiful esthetics – colour matched ceramic
- Natural looking smile
- High strength, clinically proven ceramic – millions of successful restorations worldwide
- Enamel-like materials – natural look and feel